Friday 2 August 2013

Assignment 2 : Reflection

Going back to the assessment criteria for this course again here are my thoughts having completed Assignment 2 .

Demonstration of Technical and Visual Skills materials, techniques, observational skills, visual awareness, design and compositional skills. 

This assignment has led me to really practise the digital techniques needed to get my camera to achieve what I was looking for to meet the very specific requirements of capturing high contrast scenes effectively without resorting to post-processing. It has been a real challenge at times but I feel that I understand the camera better and think a lot more about what I'm seeing in front of me before adjusting the camera settings and taking the shot.
The technical challenge of the street scene was for me very hard and I think I would like to revisit this later on in the course.
Certainly my visual awareness is more heightened and I find myself looking at high contrast images away from the camera in a different light and considering the technical aspects mre than I used to.

Re compositional skills, looking back at some of the images that I've produced, I feel that some lack a creative spark ( e.g. the lighthouse comes to mind here ) and I think I need to spend more time considering what subject material meets both the assignment and my own creative needs before starting on an assignment.


Quality of outcome content, application of knowledge, presentation of work in a coherent manner, discernment, conceptualisation of thoughts, communication of ideas.

I think that I have presented my work in a coherent manner for this part of the course. I have tried  to communicate my ideas clearly but this is probably better judged by the reader. Certainly I have applied what I have learnt through the course, perhaps more effectively with some images than others.

Demonstration of Creativity imagination, experimentation, invention, development of a personal voice.

If I'm honest I feel that my assignment does not demonstrate the level of creativity I would like to see...this maybe that I felt a little constrained and less engaged by some of the locations that I ended up choosing.  I need to spend more time reflecting on what I want to capture in my images and why.


Context reflection, research, critical thinking ( learning log)

My research was primarily focused on the technical side and looking for suitable locations to fulfil the requirements of the end assignment. Two particular exhibitions that I have visited during this part of the course have had an influence in my thinking here. Tacita Deane's 'Disappearance at sea' - the lighthouse light against the sunset came to mind when I was thinking about how to capture an interesting image of the Southsea Lighthouse. And I see the influence of John Riddy's 'Sicilian landscapes' in my London street scene in terms of light and dark ...I have begun to catch up on my reading but need to devote more time to this.


No comments:

Post a Comment