Thursday 1 May 2014

Looking for light Jane Bown


Came across reference in the Guardian ( 27 April 2014 ) to a documentary about Jane Bown who worked as a photographer for the Observer. Mark Kermode's review can be found at  http://goo.gl/BROzS

I hadn't heard of Bown but I discovered that she was a portrait photographer of some renown and legend. Thought I'd check the film out as her work is in monochrome , an area of photography which I am increasingly drawn to. Her photographs are presented without aural accompaniment - as Kermode says, ' allowed ( indeed demanding) to speak for themselves'.

As you might guess, I also discovered that cinemas were not queuing up for this film, certainly not in the south east outside London. However, I'm told there will be a DVD coming out soon ..and I will be buying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment