Monday 4 August 2014

Revised photobook




There were two key issues that I felt compelled to address after my tutor’s feedback and reflecting on my own thoughts about this project. These were how to achieve a ‘constant’ look to the photobook and how to present these images in a way that would prompt or trigger ideas for and emotion in the ‘viewer’. 


‘A constant look’

Returning to the images I agree that the final selection of images did not present a 'constant look' to the photobook. Why was this? Some of those  images had some considerable post production treatment to generate a certain feel, for example,  'warm sunshine’, the passing of time or an attempt to place the image back in time by representing it as an image taken many years ago that had faded with time. Post production treatment experimenting with techniques learnt during the course approaches introduced a degree of inconsistency across the book. My tutor felts that this colour rendering and use of grain 'detracts from the quality of the image (both technically and emotionally)'. For the most part I have to agree though differing in respect of one image i.e. ‘Amateur artist on honeymoon’. This image of one of my Dad’s earliest pen and ink drawings done on his honeymoon works better for me with the heavy grain…it conjures up a feeling of artistic effort.



How to achieve a constant ‘look’?  


Initially I went back to the original images and experimented to see if it was possible to process them to 'look' like old photos in a way that would provide a consistency of ‘aged’ look. This proved again to me that the images that I am using do not easily lend themselves to creating the look of old photos right across the board.

On reflection I have concluded that I can trigger memories of ‘yesterday’ through images taken ‘today’. This works for me in terms of my memories. For others it is less simple, but I believe that the images are not so specific that they cannot trigger thoughts, memories and emotions even if these are not that personal to the viewer.  


Photobook: version two


So I have reworked the photobook avoiding the highly glossy finish that neither I nor my tutor liked (I usually print my images on smooth pearl photographic paper and need to replicate this finish in the photobook). I have given this second photobook an introduction to give the viewers  as my tutor says ' a bit of a clue ' My original instinct to write a short introduction to the photo book, setting the scene so to speak, which I originally considered and discarded, was right with hindsight. This introduction sets the scene for viewers – my intention being that  the images they view will trigger the experience, the idea or emotion that Roland Barthes describes as the 'punctum' - the 'element which rises from the scene, shoots out of it like an arrow, and pierces one' ( Barthes, 2000, p.26 ).


This second photobook with a number of revised images will be submitted with my assessment material. The original images for these revised images will also be included in my selection of prints for assessment.



Revised images:


P 705

 
P 701


 
P707



P704



No comments:

Post a Comment