Monday 28 October 2013

Assignment three Monochrome - preparation

For this assignment I had to choose a theme or subject that I thought would be good for black and white images and able to enable me to bring out the monochrome image qualities of form, tonal contrast and texture.

As I worked through the preceding exercises, I spent some time thinking about what might work as a subject for the assignment and planned a few trial runs to different locations. I also looked at various sources of black and white photography to try to develop a sense of what compositions and treatments worked particularly well for black and white images. I came across the magazine 'Black+White Photography published by GMC Publications in the Photographers Gallery a while back and have since found the various monthy editions very interesting,stimulating and helpful here. Early on remembering and being, if I am honest, influenced by Chris Killip's submission for the  Deutsche Borse Photography Prize 2013., wondered whether the Hollycombe Steam Museum would present  a number of good opportunities. It has a wide range of steam engines ranging from farm and railway to fairground rides all driven by steam.I was thinking along the lines of texture and form. Interestingly however, a photo visit did not produce exactly what I was looking for and it was then back to the drawing board.

Eventually I decided to base my assignment on seaside piers. Part of the reasoning here was to see if I could capture the beauty of local piers and engender both a nostalgic and current look at how they are used and enjoyed by people. Secondly, I knew two local piers well from childhood and adult visits. Both had interesting architecture and traditional pier entertainment and were still well used by people. There was also the attraction and advantage of open skies and water to build into the equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment