Thursday 24 April 2014

Creating a web gallery - editorial 2


Looking at various web gallery designs and doing some research as to what such as WordPress and Smugmug offer has crystalised my thoughts as to what I need for my web gallery.

The front or home page will need to give the name of my Web Gallery and display one large image indicative of my style of work. It will also have simple 'tabs'  ( e.g. P696) directing the visitor to the rest of the gallery to folders and some biographical detail about myself -maybe tabs such as Home, About, My work , Blog, Contact etc.



P696: Word Press theme: Octavia



I will also include some widgets e.g. facebook, twitter and Flickr ( see below for full range of social widgets available through Word Press) to provide some functionality beyond navigation.See P697 below:


P697: Widgets

In addition I want to have a contact page which allows comments and  a blog page facility.  

What about a platform for my website? Research on the Internet suggests that there are two options i.e. I can use a free service such as WordPress.com which offers a free hosting and a free wordpress.com domain name. Alternatively, I can use a self-hosted site where you pay for your own hosting service, your own custom domain name and create your website there on your own ( you can still use WordPress for free apparently, but a self-hosted site offers more flexibility and control.  

My instinct is that I am not quite ready to create and launch a web gallery. That said, I will go ahead and to explore costs and available designs further and 'play' with some free possibilities.




No comments:

Post a Comment