Tuesday 15 April 2014

How about a photo book?


Feedback via the student website tells me that presenting assignment images in a photo book should not be attempted by first year students as this approach is much harder than many realise. I wondered at first why this would be? Is this a reference to the technical side of things, the expense or the amount of time this takes ?

Then I remembered seeing a tutor video on how to prepare for a photographic assessment which included a photobook so I went looking for this guide as a starting point. The comments I found here were helpful - only one image per page, keep captions simple and avoid a black background.

Research on the internet took me a stage further. Here I found advice from designers on the type of font to use for the captions ..that is, the type of fonts that I could afford i.e. being free.

The most significant advice for me though was to remember that a photobook is not a collection of images presented in book form but images presented in a coherent way with a relationship to each other as pages of a book work together to tell a story..This seemed particularly relevant in that what I wanted to achieve with this project is a thematic approach creating memories of my Dad.

An optimist at heart I decided to plough on with the idea of creating a photo book for this assignment. I decided if anything, it would be a real learning process giving me markers for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment