Monday 3 March 2014

Australian photographic interlude - January/ February 2014


Just back from travelling across Australia for three weeks with my camera and 47 other 'tourists' and trying to reflect on what I saw and experienced. I took my usual DLSR  with me as I wanted to capture the 'feel' of the country as best I could, though I soon realised that travelling on a scheduled tour with a large group often worked against being able to digest and photograph what I was seeing effectively. That said, it was good fun and enjoyable to have a go so to speak.  


P 632 : Uluru at sunset


It's not hard to be attracted by the colour, texture and 'architectural structure of the landscape around Alice Springs 

  

P633
 

P634

 Or the rain forest...
 
 
P635
 
 
 
P636
 
Interestingly, in Kuranda,the rainforest area near Cairns I came across the work of Peter Jarver, a self taught Australian photographer ( of whom more later) , which was beautiful and all the more fascinating as I had had a go at trying to capture some of the landscape that he so expertly and creatively captured. Talking to the 'curator' of the gallery it was not surprising to learn that some of the final images had taken two or three months to achieve, shot in large format with a view camera and tripod. 


But my eye was also drawn by city landscapes in Melbourne and Sydney and by the amazing street art in the narrow Melbourne lanes close to our hotel. A real visual feast!

P637

My partner and I also took time out to explore Yoko Ono's exhibition 'War is over! If you want it ' at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney:



P638

I'll come back to this exhibition in a later blog and to the Australian modern art that also interested me.

No comments:

Post a Comment