Wednesday 5 March 2014

Peter Jarvis - Australian photographer


I wanted to come back to Pete Jarver as I was very much drawn to his work which I came across by accident in Kuranda, NT, Australia when trying to get away from the tropical downpour outside. Disappointingly for the Gallery Manager his work was financially out of my league but she didn't hold this against me being quite happy to get out the last of a limited edition for me to look at more closely.



Many of his images had the technical detail displayed alongside which I find particularly interesting - more so this time given I had seen some of the dramatic landscapes that he favoured and had tried to take photographs myself. Think I was somewhat reassured when told that he often took over two months to get the image he was looking for..I can understand that given the way light can impact dramatically on the architecture and sculpture of the Outback landscapes.  I found it very frustrating to see what I wanted to capture at Uluru but knowing that the light was not yet right to bring out the dramatic lines of the eroded rock and that the coach was waiting to take us away. Definitely a question of going off to take photos on your own...

Peter Jarver ( 1953-2003) was completely self-taught award winning photographer who travelled Australia for 20 years capturing the landscape. His work can be found at http://www.peterjarver.com . Some might say it is very commercial in its appearance and maybe some of the images have that look or maybe are 'packaged' that way but I liked many of his interior landscape shots which look deceptively simple but are obviously not.

No comments:

Post a Comment