Saturday 28 December 2013

Addition

Now I know how some of the more 'creative' interpretations of images come from...

I decided to 'plunder' one of my local seascapes to find a landscape for this particular exercise. Dell Quay is one of those places where the sea never seems to be in when I visit but this does allow for more interesting images. One of my favourite places is here is the site of a large sailing boat that over the years has been allowed to deteriorate into a hulk ... a hulk that at low tide conjures up images of Charles Dickens' escaped convict Magwich and the muddy flats of the marshes where he hid from capture...

I took two images, one where the exposure focused on the actual boat and then a second one where I concentrated on the sky leaving the boat and surrounding area underexposed.

P606: F8 @ 1/250 ISO 800  18mm
P607: F8 @ 1/500  ISO 800  18mm 


The next stage was to copy the lighter image onto the darker one. For this, I had a go at using  free trial of Photomatrix Essentials  ( www.hdrsoft.com ). The results were very interesting. Using the option to blend exposures, I came up with the resulting image below :

P608
P609: soft preset
P607 works best at capturing colour and 'atmosphere' while P606 is nearer to reality.
But I was actually drawn more to the default preset ( P608 ) as it gave a more interesting interpretation albeit a strange and unrealistic lighting effect.

P610: Photomatrix default preset

No comments:

Post a Comment