Wednesday 18 December 2013

Comments on my tutor's feedback for assignment 3


This feedback on my monochrome assignment was really helpful. particularly the reworked examples that my tutor provided....also found the suggestions for my fourth assignment both helpful and thought provoking...will include these in a later post. My responses here are in red italics..
 
Peter's comments as follows:
 
Overall Comments

The format of the submission works very well.  The narrative that accompanies the images of the assignment is full and ranges into the realms of inspiration and motivation.  I would encourage you to continue this and even expand on this as having the background research alongside the assignment images etc. makes the whole thing very clear.  I am pleased to see that you are expanding on this on your blog.

 

Feedback on assignment

I think that your images are all well thought out particularly in terms of the monochrome conversion; the versions I have offered are more suggestions as to alternatives than as examples of ‘better’ versions.  I had a preference for printing dark and contrasty black and whites when I was using film but this is a personal thing.  What I was doing with your images was looking for a way of getting maximum ‘punch’ without losing detail or the feeling I think you were after. 

Most of what I want to say about the individual images is in the form of annotations to your notes document.

The main question that you should answer, even if it is only to yourself, is are these images better in monochrome or colour?  The assignment forces you to think about monochrome conversion in the era of digital imaging, and there are many questions that this raises.  The main one being, what is the status and purpose of monochrome in photography today?  Everyone is likely to have a different answer to that question but I fear that too few people working in monochrome have really asked it!  You seem to have got the idea that to be successful with a monochrome final image, you should be thinking in monochrome from the start and I think that the most successful of your images are the ones that simply talk of form, shape, contrast and so on and indeed there are only two that I think allow for discussion on this point and  they are the first two (589 and 590) and neither of these make a bad monochrome image, just perhaps not needing the mono conversion.( Discuss!!)

While I agree that images P589 and P590 are the least successful of all the images in terms of the final monochrome version, I think with further reflection that P590 would have worked better in colour. That said, the intention in P589 was to capture a sense of 'period' - the golden summer remembered so to speak - and monochrome was a more obvious choice. However, maybe a slightly different treatment would have produced a better effect.. possibly slightly lighter. I have however, opted to try the image in a 'colour' version attempting again to capture the sense of period :

 
P589 - Lightroom 'Aged photo preset'

The seats image (595) suggested an American diner to me and my feeling is that a slightly lighter version referenced American 50s monochrome marginally better than your version but then you weren’t making an image of a diner! 





P595 ..my version 
P595 ..Peter's version

Yes, the lighter version does conjure up the 1950s feel better..

I have suggested a couple of different and tighter crops.  Again not intended as anything more than a different person’s viewpoint, perhaps saying something slightly different from your intention.  What do you think?

P591
 

Peter's cropped version
I actually like both versions of P591...I'm trying to differentiate  between what both say to me and I think for me the cropped version emphasises the contrast between the 'fairground' world and that of the 'businessman' in amore direct 'hardnosed' way. The fuller version does this to some extent and I find it more visually attractive ( probably due to the greater impact of the ribbed roof)..

P590

Peter's cropped version 

My version of 593 has two different curves adjustments added, they are to be looked at one at a time as it were not together.  Having said all this, it occurs to me that you are using Lightroom and I don’t know if you have any version of Photoshop that will let you look at the layers!  Oh well if not I have included separate versions  and you can see the results if not the way I got there! (593_peter_1 and_2)
 
P593....my version

Peter's version 1
 
 
Peter's version 2
 
Looking at the three images above, on reflection I think that I prefer Peter's second version as it brings out the detail a little better than mine  and capturing the detail details was the real purpose of this composition and processing.
A successful assignment I think, that you gave a good amount of thought to and that thought was in the right direction.  I like to see that a student is thinking about what it is that they are trying to say in their image before they start to work out how they are going to take the shot.  Content and intention should dictate the technique and even when an assignment is prompted by a technical method or process it is good to see that you are starting from the point of view that the technique is only a tool to aid expression.

 
Learning Logs/Critical essays

Where I have asked questions in this report or in my notes and annotations to your notes document, I do not want a direct answer but you should discuss them in your log.

Your blog is shaping up well.  You might like to think about ways in which you can make navigation even easier.  The tags you apply to posts make it possible to have some sort of index somewhere on the right hand side so that readers can look at, say, your reflections on exhibitions or books read.  I am by no means a Blogger expert but if you search I am sure you will find out how to do this. Funny, I was also thinking that the navigation left something to be desire and differed from by first learning blog. Have had a go at making it a little easier to navigate..

 
Suggested reading/viewing

Jeff Wall:



Three books that might be of interest during this section:

Linfield, Susie (2010). The Cruel Radience: Photography and Political Violence, Chicago: University of Chicago Press

Richin, Fred (2009) After Photography, New York: W.W. Norton & Co

Lipkin, Jonathan (2005) Photography Reborn: Image Making in the Digital Era, New York: Abrams

Ingledew, J., (2013) Photography, Second ed., London: Laurence King Publishing Ltd.

This video on creating a composite might interest you for the next assignment

 

No comments:

Post a Comment