Wednesday 18 December 2013

Pointers for my next assignment - real or fake?



 
I thought it would be helpful to me to have my tutor's comments re my next assignment 'logged' so to speak at a time when I am mulling over quite how to tackle this piece of work..

Peter's comments :

Your next assignment is quite tricky and a good vehicle for exercising your own creativity and judgement.  Choose your book carefully and think about the ethical as well as the aesthetic issues that might be involved in deciding on how much manipulation you engage in. You may decide on a strongly manipulated image or you may decide otherwise, whatever you do, explain it as fully as you have in this assignment and I would suggest that you have a brief go at a couple of ideas before settling on a final one that you take to conclusion.  Include all your attempts and working in your notes/learning-log


This video on creating a composite might interest you for the next assignment

Though the brief makes reference to book covers, I have found that album covers often make good sources of inspiration and I have given you references to sites that explore one of the more innovative of the graphic designers in this field.  Many of the covers were made before the advent of digital technology and must have taken many, many hours of work with the airbrush!

Album cover design:



 
Jeff Wall constructs his images from multiple shots, often making the originals on large format film but again good source material.
Plan you image(s) well before starting work and don’t be afraid to start over if things are not working.

I would like to see not only the final image but also the component parts and, if possible, the stages along the way, just in case I can suggest alternative ways of working.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment